Sendai Street Food - Delicious Kamaboko Fishcake Delicacies in Miyagi Prefecture
Most frequently served grilled, these Miyagi kamaboko can be purchased pre-cooked, but this time I wanted to do it for myself! So I headed to Sendai to find Abe Kamaboko-ten, a restaurant specializing in kamaboko, where you can grill them to perfection all by yourself.
Abe Kamaboko-ten (阿部蒲鉾店)
2-3-18 Central, Aoba Ward, Sendai, Miyagi
10:00 - 19:00
Official Website (jp)
- Getting them browned just the right amount was kind of a challenge―I wanted them toasty, but not burnt! When I asked a staff member, they said that the kamaboko on the right (above) is perfectly cooked, according to tradition. But it seems like you're free to cook them as much or as little as you want! The fish is already cooked when it's made into a cake, so eating them even before they're grilled isn't a problem. Feel free to grill them to perfection, however much that is.
- Toasty-brown and ready to eat! If you've never had kamaboko, they're made with very mild white fish, giving them a simple savory flavor, and have a firm, smooth texture. They're pretty easy to enjoy, even if you're not much of a fish person, a bit like frozen fish sticks overseas. Toasting them yourself just adds to the fun!
- With cute spirals of ketchup, hyotan-age is pretty cute, making it ripe for insta-bae photos and general bragging on social media.
Can You Really Bring Kamaboko All the Way Home?
*If you have any doubts or questions about the legality of importing kamaboko, I recommend you proactively ask at the customs office to be safe.
For more kamaboko pictures to whet your appetite, follow Abe Kamaboko-ten's official instagram, below! and for more info and updates from Japan, don't forget to follow Japankuru on twitter, instagram, and facebook!
- Basic Info
Name Abe Kamaboko-ten (阿部蒲鉾店) Station Sendai Station (仙台駅) Website https://www.abekama.co.jp/
- The Tohoku Girl
【A Taiwanese girl living in Sendai：The Tohoku Girl】 I like Kotaro Isaka's novels so I ended up in Sendai. Let me introduce you to the beauty of Tohoku! ♡ Facebook: https://facebook.com/tohokugirl Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tohoku_girl_official/SHOW COLUMN
- Related Article
- ENTERTAINMENT New Pokemon-Themed “Lucky Park” Opens in Disaster-Struck Fukushima 2021.12.20
- CULTURE Things Get Hot and Steamy as Japan Plans to Revive Traditional ”Konyoku” Mixed Bath... 2021.12.08
- TOUR Follow in Samurai Footsteps Through Nikko, Aizu, and Yonezawa ・ A Trip on the Samurai... 2021.12.03